Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tittle and Jot

The newspaper this morning had a little blurb about how the dot above a small case j or i is called a tittle. Now, that made me think that the definition of tittle was the dot above a small case j or i. This is not the case. Turns out, a tittle is a very small part or quantity--the very least part. This means that the dot above a j qualifies as a tittle but that a tittle means more than that dot.

This came up because, when I mentioned the tittle thing, one of my coworkers said, "For verily I say unto you, til heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law til all things be accomplished." Apart from being a relatively unprovoked bible quotation, this comment also brought the word jot into the discussion.

I'll spare you all of the details about the Hebrew alphabet and ancient Greek writing and get right down to the useful information. A jot is small, but it's bigger than a tittle.

And now the inevitable link to the Helm.

Guess who originally said the bible quote about the jot and the tittle! Matthew! Yup! That's right, Matthew 5:18. And although he spells it differently than our boy, last time I checked, Matt was also the name of the main character from the Helm! How's that for synchronicity!

So now that I've connected the topics, I can tell you that I've also updated the Helm website! A new splash page and an online store where you can buy the graphic novel version! Check it out at http://www.thehelmcomic.com/ I'm sure you will be at least as thrilled by the new design as you have been by the discussion of tittle and jot.

No comments: